View Hierarchies dictate which objects are in front or behind other objects, and which objects are nested within other objects. In this movie, see how you can view your view hierarchies in different ways, and how to adjust your hierarchies using the document outline in Xcode 7 and the iOS SDK inside Interface Builder.
- [Voiceover] In iOS, the view hierarchy refers to…the layout structure of your app.…In other words, which objects are nested…inside of other objects.…Let's look at an example.…I'm going to hide the document outline…and then I'm going to drop a view onto the screen.…I'm going to search for a view in the Object library…and then scroll down until I find…a plain old view and there it is.…I'm going to drop it on the screen…and I'm going to give this a background…because it's hard to see when it's white…and it's on a white background.…
In here, I'm going to change background…from white color to some other color.…It can be any color you'd like.…I'm going to set it to be blue.…There's our background right there…and then I'm going to drag it all the way to the right.…I'm intentionally not putting pins in it…for a reason that I'll show later on.…Now, let's drag out a label onto the screen.…I'll search for a label in the Object library…and then just click and drag it over here…onto the view.…Now, we want the label to actually be…
Interested in developing for Apple Watch or Apple TV? Get a sneak peek in Chapter 9. The course wraps up with a look at the submission process for the App Store.
- Installing Xcode and the iOS SDK
- Creating a simple iOS app
- Creating a basic interaction with a button
- Choosing an object as a first responder
- Creating a user interface with Interface Builder and Auto Layout
- Working with sliders and progress bars
- Creating views to show images and web pages
- Developing responsive layouts with size classes
- Understanding the iOS architecture
- Loading data in table views
- Transitioning between views
- Developing for the iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV
- Submitting apps to the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
1. Prepare to Develop an iOS App
2. Core Skills
3. Basic iOS UI
4. More UI Objects
5. Size Classes
6. iOS Application Architecture
7. Table Views
8. Multiple-View Applications
9. iPad, Watch, and Apple TV Development
10. Finish and Submit to the App Store
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.