Variables are the most foundational building block of programming, used in every application. This video explains what variables are and the role they play in iOS app development.
- [Todd] Variables are the most basic building block…of programming.…Let's talk about what variables are.…Variables are the nouns or the things of programming.…What I mean by that is that they're named containers…that hold some type of data.…The data can be text, a number, or many other types of data.…The values can be simple,…like a number or a user's score in a game,…or they could be more complex,…like a person's contact information.…
So a variable could be a person that contains the person's…name, address, phone number, email address, et cetera.…When you're going to create a variable in your code,…here's the process.…First you start with the var keyword,…then you have the variable name,…then you have the variable data type,…which is optional in Swift,…then finally, the data that goes inside the variable…is specified after an equals sign.…So what I'm going to do next is take this slide…and show you step-by-step how a variable is created in code.…
We start with the var keyword,…then a space and the variable name.…
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding methods
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface (UI)
- Building a complete iOS app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Set Up Your Coding Environment
Create an Xcode project4m 19s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Methods
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
5. Plan and Prepare the App
6. Build a Full Application
Next steps3m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.