Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Solution overview, part of Code Clinic: Swift (2015).
- Depending on your programming background,…when you heard this basic situation here,…that I need to make an app that uses…weather data from a public website,…you might've started thinking, okay I bet he's…gonna write code that calls a web service.…Well this will not be a solution where an iOS app…that calls a web service because there isn't one.…There is no programmatic interface being exposed…on this Navy website, there is no API designed…for our applications to query and retrieve,…there's just these big text files.…That's it, that's our data.…
It might not be what we want, but it's what we've got.…Now with any problem, I always want to begin…by being very conscious of what I have been asked to do…and what I haven't been asked to do.…What are my requirements?…What are my limitations?…What are my constraints?…My requirements are minimal.…It's only that using the data at…lpo.dt.navy.mil, calculate the mean and median…of the wind speed, air temperature and barometric pressure…for a provided range of dates.…My one other requirement in this code clinic…
Simon introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in Swift. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided here for lynda.com members outside of the U.S
1. Problem One: Exploring Lake Pend Oreille
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem 3: Eight Queens
4. Problem 4 - Accessing Peripherals
5. Problem 5 - Recursion and Directories
6. Problem 6 - Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.