The iOS software keyboard can be shown automatically when a text view is presented on the screen. This video shows how the process works, and explains the idea of first responders in iOS 10.
- So that app is pretty much done,…but I want to talk about one thing and that is the keyboard.…When I select a note, in order to edit the text,…I need to click on it and I need to edit…it with my computer's keyboard and not…the keyboard in the simulator.…So, if we want to get the simulator keyboard to come up,…we can go to hardware, keyboard,…toggle software keyboard and it will come up.…What I want to do is make the…keyboard come up automatically.…So when I leave and I go back,…I automatically see that software…keyboard pop up in the simulator.…
So I go back to X code,…and in here I'm going to head over…to DetailViewController.Swift and…underneath viewDidLoad where I'm…setting the text for the text view,…I'm going to call textView.becomeFirstResponder.…Now, the description doesn't actually…give a lot of clear information about what this does.…What a first responder is in IOS,…is it's the first object to receive events.…So when you tell a text view that…it's the first responder, that says that's…the object that's going to receive text events.…
In this course, join Todd Perkins as he takes you through how to create cross-platform apps using Swift. This course is one of three related courses designed to help you discover the similarities and differences that exist between the platforms used by three main devices: an Android phone, an iPhone, and a Windows phone. These courses use the same assets to create the same note-taking app so that you can identify and experience the complementary and contrasting development steps.
- Downloading Xcode
- Configuring preferences in Xcode
- Building the app interface
- Connecting interface elements to code
- Writing app logic
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Project Overview
A demo of the finished app1m 19s
2. Understanding iOS Specifics
3. Get Started
4. Create the Table and a Data Source
5. Edit and Save Data
6. Work with Multiple View Controllers
Next steps2m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.