Table view data sources supply the content that goes within the table view. This tutorial shows how to connect a table view to a data source object using Xcode 8 and Swift 3.
- [Instructor] Now that we've created our table view,…the next step is to set a data source for it.…In other words, we tell the table view…which object is going to provide its data.…Now, to do that, we need to select the table view…and then open up the utility area.…So I'm getting my story board file, table view selected,…utility area open.…And we want to go to the connections inspector.…That's the one with the circle and the arrow.…So we're going to click on that and under outlets…we see data source and delegate.…
So the outlets are actually properties…that can be connected to other objects.…The data source or, in other words, the object…that's going to provide the data for our table view,…is going to be our view controller.…Now, if you have the document outline open,…which you can toggle with this button right here,…you're going to see view controller up here…and then it has this yellow circle with a white square…inside of it.…So what we want to do is connect this data source property…of the table view to our view controller class.…
In this course, join Todd Perkins as he takes you through how to create cross-platform apps using Swift. This course is one of three related courses designed to help you discover the similarities and differences that exist between the platforms used by three main devices: an Android phone, an iPhone, and a Windows phone. These courses use the same assets to create the same note-taking app so that you can identify and experience the complementary and contrasting development steps.
- Downloading Xcode
- Configuring preferences in Xcode
- Building the app interface
- Connecting interface elements to code
- Writing app logic
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Androidwith David Gassner2h 38m Intermediate
Converting iOS 9 Apps into Apple TV Appswith Yohann Taieb2h 2m Intermediate
1. Project Overview
A demo of the finished app1m 19s
2. Understanding iOS Specifics
3. Get Started
4. Create the Table and a Data Source
5. Edit and Save Data
6. Work with Multiple View Controllers
Next steps2m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.