Swift 3 is easy to learn for the most part, but one feature can be particularly confusing: optionals. This video explains optionals and why they're used in Swift 3.
- What of the most confusing ideas for people new to Swift,…is the idea of optional values.…Now, I know that we haven't…gone over installing Xcode yet.…So, for right now, all I want you to do…is watch my screen so that,…this concept makes sense.…So, if see any of these principles coming up…later on throughout the course,…you can revisit this video to see how the concept works…in a real world application.…
So, in my code here, I've created a variable…that is of the string data type,…and it's called str.…And, it's just a literal string, Example.…Now, what I'm using right now is called a playground,…which is a feature of Xcode, that gives you feedback…in real time of the value of variables.…So that we can see on the right side of the screen…the value of Example, is Example.…So, if we look at the next slide,…I'm running a simple method that replaces…occurrences of a given string within a string.…
So, it takes the Ex of Example…and replaces that with an S.…So, it changes to Example to Sample.…So, pretty straight forward code right here.…
In this course, join Todd Perkins as he takes you through how to create cross-platform apps using Swift. This course is one of three related courses designed to help you discover the similarities and differences that exist between the platforms used by three main devices: an Android phone, an iPhone, and a Windows phone. These courses use the same assets to create the same note-taking app so that you can identify and experience the complementary and contrasting development steps.
- Downloading Xcode
- Configuring preferences in Xcode
- Building the app interface
- Connecting interface elements to code
- Writing app logic
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Project Overview
A demo of the finished app1m 19s
2. Understanding iOS Specifics
3. Get Started
4. Create the Table and a Data Source
5. Edit and Save Data
6. Work with Multiple View Controllers
Next steps2m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.