How do you get from learning about programming to actually building an application? This video explains the thought process and gives some advice to new developers.
- [Instructor] So, how do you actually get from…the building blocks we've talked about…to building apps?…First, let's review the skills…that we've talked about so far,…and I want to tell you my way of thinking…in building this calculator.…We've talked about variables, methods, conditionals,…and you've done some challenges using all three…of those building blocks.…Now, we're building a calculator app here,…and the way that I designed this course was to tell you…that you can do iOS programming.…So, what I did in designing the course…is I actually built the calculator app first…and made sure that it didn't use…too many different concepts as far as programming goes,…and I then taught variables, methods, and conditionals,…specifically to get to building that calculator.…
So, I had the calculator in mind and it was already done,…so in a way, I cheated on this.…I don't expect you to be able to take…these three technologies and make something out of it.…So let's talk about how you might be able to do that…with what you know.…
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding methods
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface (UI)
- Building a complete iOS app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Set Up Your Coding Environment
Create an Xcode project4m 19s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Methods
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
5. Plan and Prepare the App
6. Build a Full Application
Next steps3m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.