Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring options for data storage, part of Code Clinic: Swift.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Any time you want to make an app…that uses somebody else's data…we need to consider a few basic questions.…And I'm bypassing the first question of…are we allowed to use that data?…Because the answer here is yes.…The Navy has made this public and we've talked to them.…They're fine with us using it.…So question one is how much data are we talking about?…Do we need all of it?…Well it's not a lot.…We're not talking about terabytes of stuff here.…The text files make up about 20 to 25 megabytes in total.…If I look at the size of any of them,…by say, just downloading them…and then checking to see the file size,…I can make the assumption that it'll grow by about…somewhere between four to six megabytes per year.…
And it'll grow that amount each additional year.…That's pretty small.…Sure we don't want to have to fetch all of this data…every time we use the application,…but this is not a large amount of data.…And while it's true we don't need all of it all the time,…we do need to be able to access all of it…back to 2011 when it first begins.…
Simon introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in Swift. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Problem One: Exploring Lake Pend Oreille
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem 3: Eight Queens
4. Problem 4 - Accessing Peripherals
5. Problem 5 - Recursion and Directories
6. Problem 6 - Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.