Join Mike Wong for an in-depth discussion in this video Design best practices, part of iOS App Development: Essential Courses.
- Given the sheer quantity of apps in the app store,…you'll want to make sure to give your app…every chance to succeed.…No matter how you choose to define success,…by downloads or by sales,…design is an important element in the success of your app.…An app's design can set it apart from the competition,…and in an world where users look and scan…before reading everything,…it is your first opportunity to get someone's attention.…Here's some tips for you to keep in mind…as you design how your app looks and functions.…
First, design using a grid.…As you develop the interface for your app,…imagine a grid like the one you see here.…Be consistent with the spacing that you leave…between text elements, buttons,…and other interface elements…including the top, bottom, and side margins.…In fact, I would encourage you to get some graph paper…with grids like these and sketch out your app…before you start adding interface elements in Xcode.…It's much easier to draw your interface…on paper several times than it is to do it in Xcode.…
With over 15 years of experience in the software industry, Mike Wong reviews the tools, language choices, and high-level concepts behind iOS app development. Dive in and learn about storage requirements, interface design, and the tricks to promoting iOS apps in a crowded marketplace. In each video, Mike will point you to training videos, articles, and forums for learning more.
When you're done with this overview, make sure to subscribe to our curated playlist, Develop Apps for iPads and iPhones, which includes a selection of our most relevant iOS app development training.
- Acquiring the right tools for iOS app development
- Coding in Swift and Objective-C
- Working with Xcode
- Understanding app storage and project management
- Designing your app
- Promoting and marketing iOS apps
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 07/21/2017. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: courses for learning Swift.