The first step in learning SpriteKit is creating a SpriteKit project. See how it works and what differentiates a SpriteKit project from a standard iOS project in this tutorial.
- [Instructor] Let's create a SpriteKit project.…So I'll create a new project from the Welcome screen…and under iOS, I'm going to choose Game.…From here I'll hit Next…and then I'm going to name the product.…I'll call this Basics.…Make sure to choose Swift for the Language…and for the Game Technology, choose SpriteKit.…SpriteKit is Apple's API for creating two-dimensional games…as opposed to SceneKit,…which is made for creating three-dimensional games.…
So we'll choose SpriteKit, device is iPhone,…all of these other options unchecked and then hit Next.…I'm then going to save this in Exercise Files, Chapter 01,…first_project, final.…Of course if you're following along…with the exercise files,…just save right outside of that folder.…So here is our first SpriteKit project…successfully created.…Now, what I want to point out to you…is the differences between a SpriteKit project…and a standard iOS project.…
Let's start in Main.storyboard.…In the document outline on the left side,…which you can show using this button,…you can expand that and see that Game View Controller…
- Creating a SpriteKit project
- Adding and modifying sprites
- Creating sprites in code
- Transitioning between scenes
- Working with children and parents
- Adding physics
- Detecting and responding to collisions
- Applying particle effects
- Creating actions
- Working with sound
- Adding cameras and lights
Skill Level Intermediate
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
Careers in the Game Industrywith Christian Bradley1h 19m Beginner
Building a Game App with the Android SDKwith David Gassner2h 6m Intermediate
1. Introduction to SpriteKit
2. Add Physics
3. Work with Particle Effects
4. Work with Actions
5. Work with Audio
6. Additional Features
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.