When we have assets that contain multiple material types, being able to limit them to the areas we want on a mesh, in a quick and easy fashion, can save us a lot of time and heart ache. Here we see our ID pass put to use in order to do just that, via a right click and add mask with colour selection operation.
- [Voiceover] Having added some nice…random looking wear in our red paint material,…time in this video to take a look…at restricting the paint to some very…specific areas on the mesh.…This we will do by means of the vertex…color ID past that we baked…right at the start of the course.…Now although doing what we want…is surprisingly easy inside Substance Painter,…we do, as we noted when we looked…at our FBX mash inside of 3DS Max,…need have to carefully planned things out in order to get…all of the masks that we need.…
In fact, it is probably worth noting at this stage…that if we should realize there is a need…it wouldn't be a tremendous amount of hassel…to go back into 3DS Max at this point in our project,…reassign vertex colors to the specific areas…where we wanted or needed them,…and then we export so that we could…rebake our ID pass again inside the painter application.…Obviously this would take extra time,…so I would strongly recommend avoiding…such a situation if at all possible.…But again, it is good to know that…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Substance Designerwith Joel Bradley2h 59m Intermediate
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
Mastering UVW Mapping in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 32m Intermediate
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.