Making sure we have our FBX mesh set up and working correctly is a key part of the game asset creation workflow. This means that paying attention to both scale as well as general model construction is going to be important as getting it right at the start, can us much time later on.
- [Voiceover] In the initial two videos for this chapter…we're going to take a look at a few important steps…that we'll take in connection with the mesh object…that we're going to be using as we work…through this Substance Paints course.…The first of which is to know that we have modelled…all the geometry here in 3DS Max to scale.…This means as we go through the texture creation process…we can be confident that lighting…and reflections in the scene…are going to be reacting realistically,…something which we'll then hopefully carry over…into our game engine of choice.…
As this in my case in Unreal Engine 4…the unit measurement I have worked with here in Max…was centimeters which of course is exactly…what Unreal itself works in.…Let's take a look at the mesh that we will be using…then by opening up the Application menu,…coming to the Import section…and choosing the Import command.…What we want to do now is navigate to…our Exercise Files folder inside of which…we will see this FBX Meshes folder…and inside of that we should see…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.