It is no secret that modern games can be both fast paced and fast moving, both in terms of gameplay and in scene motion. As such we want to make our game assets easy to both spot and identify by using strong silhouettes. We can do this 'visually' by using good contrast within our substance materials.
- [Voiceover] In this video, we're going…to create a second painted metal material…that will look a little bit different from the first…in that we want to create something…that has an obviously different and darker color.…One reason why we might want to do this,…aside from any artistic or style considerations…that is, would be that in a lot of the games…being created today, players can often times…find themselves turning around or moving through…their environments very quickly indeed.…And of course, in such scenarios,…the ability to quickly and easily distinguish…objects by means of their silhouette or outline…can become very important.…
And because of this, we're going to make…the outer edges and base of our petrol pump…stand out just that little bit more…by applying a darker painted metal material to them.…Now, I'm going to add a very obvious contrast here,…by creating a dark blue paint,…but you can, of course, do this using any color…and level of contrast that you want.…To make a start, let's create a new layer group…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.