Working on complex materials can mean working with complex layer trees. Because of this, learning how to create layer groups (in the form of folders), not only helps us organise our painter projects, but can also be used to both mask and then affect the layers that are contained within them.
- [Voiceover] While it's not the most…glamorous or interesting part of the texturing process,…good organization is a must for those who want…to work successfully in a production environment,…be it as part of a studio team,…or even as a freelance artist.…In this video then, we're going to set ourselves up…with a well organized work flow…that will help us make any edits or adjustments…that we want to apply to our material…both quickly, and easily.…To begin with, we're going to create a new group,…or folder, in our layer stack.…
To do this, we will come to the layers panel in the UI,…and click on the "New Folder" icon.…In this particular instance, we're going to use this folder…to house both the red-painted metal, in our material,…as well as a base, or clean metal.…Now, the reason I'm grouping these two materials together…is so that we can, if we want,…add damage to the painted metal aspect of the surface…and then have the base, or bare metal material,…show through.…Grouping materials together that interact like this…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Substance Designerwith Joel Bradley2h 59m Intermediate
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
Mastering UVW Mapping in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 32m Intermediate
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.