Sometimes we will need to make our materials from scratch in painter if we don't have a substance file or premade smart material with which to work. In this instance we will make a rubber material using the paint properties panel and then confine it to the hose area of our FBX mesh.
- [Voiceover] Our material work is clearly…coming along nicely here…but there are still a few extra materials…that we need to add before we can…move on to creating the final unique touches…of dirt and decals.…The first of which is going to be a rubber-like material…for the hose that we have here.…To do this, let's click to create…a new fill layer in the stack,…and then just make certain that it is…sitting at the top of our layers here…which we can do if necessary by means…of a left click and drag.…But we'll want to double click to rename the layer,…calling it rubber for obvious reasons.…
And then press the Return or Enter key…to confirm that change.…Coming over to the base color options…in the Parameters panel, let's set this…to a very dark grey, so not quite black.…A value of around about 0.04 or 0.02 should do.…I think I will go with 0.02 which gives us…this clearly rubberish looking color.…The roughness map does need cranking up a bit…in order to give us this kind of broad…reflective highlight that is oftentimes…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Substance Designerwith Joel Bradley2h 59m Intermediate
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
Mastering UVW Mapping in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 32m Intermediate
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.