Before we begin texturing, we need to set up our painter project. Here we need to make key decisions regarding our final texture output, such as material workflow and texture size/resolution. Here we will go with an Unreal Engine 4 workflow using a Metal/Rough PBR material set up.
- [Voiceover] The very first thing that we're wanting to do…after launching the Substance Painter program, of course,…is set up our new Painter project.…To do that, let's close out the welcome screen…that opens up by default,…and then come to the File menu,…where we can click to select the New option from the list.…And as an alternative, we could simply use…the Ctrl + N keyboard shortcut, if we preferred.…What we should get from either of those operations…is the New Project dialogue, in which we will need…to set a few important options in connection…with our project before we can move ahead.…
First of all, as I use Unreal as my game engine of choice,…I'm going to want to set the Template drop-down here…to the pbr metal roughness, high quality material option…in order to match the workflow…that the Unreal material system itself uses.…And if you use a different engine, of course,…then you will need to set an option here…that matches the particular workflow that you need.…Next up, we will want to load the mesh…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.