Painting with particles is not only fun, but perhaps more importantly looks good as well. Of course to get it right we do need to apply the same level of thought and preparation as with the rest of our model and material creation work. If not, we may quickly cause our asset to lose believability by simply applying our particle paint strokes everywhere.
- [Voiceover] As we already have our particle brush setup…and ready to go, we're going to put it to work in this video…and add in the dirt street detail that we want,…In the tools tab, then, let's make certain…that we have our dirt street brush selected,…and that over in the layer stack, we're working…on our dirt street layer, meaning we can push in…on our 3D view, so as to focus on the areas of the mesh…that we want to apply this effect to.…To do this, I'm going to use the camera controls…of alt + left click, and as well as my middle mouse button,…in order to get a good view of the side of our asset…that has the nozzle and hose.…
Now, I should stress that when adding details such as dirt,…or indeed, any other damage type effects,…we really do need to give them a lot of thought…and consideration, rather than just randomly painting these…all over the mesh, something that I, myself,…have been guilty of in the past.…In fact, when it comes to these types of effects,…less is oftentimes more, and, although we may…
- Setting a mesh for importing
- Creating a new project
- Baking maps
- Using custom bitmaps, substances, and tools
- Adding fill layers
- Masking elements
- Adding substances
- Working in the 3D and 2D views
- Using particle brushes to add dirt and grime
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Sebastien Deguy: Allegorithmic Changing the Art of Gameswith Sebastien Deguy57m 17s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up Our Substance Painter Project
2. Customizing Our Painter Tools
3. Using Substances and Masks to Paint Our Object
4. Adding Unique Details with Stencils and Particles
What next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.