Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Vary tile direction in the normal map, part of Substance Designer for Architectural Visualization (2017).
- [Instructor] In this movie,…we'll look at adding variation into the height map…for the tile, and then putting that into a normal map…so we get some good relief in that surface.…These tiles need to be almost perfectly laid,…and almost perfectly sized, and almost perfectly even.…Notice the emphasis there on "almost,"…things need a slight variation or else it looks exactly,…and too perfect.…We've got a couple of different ways to handle this,…and I'll start by adding in some value variation…in the tile generator.…I'll select it, pressing F to frame in or focus on it…if needed, and scroll down in the Instance Parameters.…
I'm also going to roll up the Base Parameters,…as I'm not using those for the moment,…and this gives me more room to look at…the Instance Parameters on the right side.…I'll scroll down, skipping over Luminance…By Scale Variation, as that's not what we're after.…What I'd like instead is Luminance Variation/Contrast,…a little bit farther down.…When we start to add in this variation, we can see that…
- Mosaic and metallic tiles
- Determining tile patterns
- Varying tile roughness
- Exposing parameters for design flexibility
- Testing tiles in a scene
- Crafting subtle metallic properties
- Patterned tile for accents
- Wood tile flooring
- Creating wood grain from noise
- Ashlar veneer
- Molded wall panels
- Woven mesh
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Painted Metal in Substance Designerwith Joel Bradley1h 5m Intermediate
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Intermediate
1. Mosaic Tile
2. Metallic Tiles
4. Patterned Tile for Accents
5. Wood Tile Flooring
6. Ashlar Veneer
7. Molded Wall Panels
8. Woven Mesh
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.