Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using normal maps to create a dynamic AO element, part of Learning Substance Designer.
- In this exercise then we are as promised…going to take a look at creating…a dynamic ambient occlusion pass for our Substance.…Now just by way of disclaimer,…we will be creating a slightly over-the-top effect here…simply for demonstration purposes.…And as with everything in connection…with texturing of CG assets though…the subtler the detail we add,…the more we will tend to add…to the sense of realism in our Substance.…To begin then, let's zoom in on our Graph view…and just to the right of our normal maps frame…hit the spacebar key and add a new frame…changing its title to Ambient_Occlusion.…
And after hitting the return key…to accept that change set its frame color…to zero, zero, zero.…Let's come over to our Library panel…in the Search field and type the word ambient,…and this as you would have guessed…isolates the ambient occlusion node that we want…meaning we can drag one out and drop it…into the newly created ambient occlusion frame.…If I just zoom in on the ambient occlusion node,…we can see that it actually needs…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."
3ds Max: Rendering for Compositeswith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.