Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using generator nodes to create large surface detail: Part 3, part of Learning Substance Designer.
- Although we are moving along nicely…in our creation of surface stress or cracks…for the aged concrete substance that we are creating,…one problem I can foresee is that if we applied…what we have at this moment in time to our mesh,…well, the cracks that we have generated here would in fact…be present across its entire surface.…Now this may be exactly the effect…that we are looking for artistically…in which case all is good.…However, as in this case, the substance is going…to be brought into a game engine,…and be used to cover a large surface area…on the geometry that it will be applied to.…
I really would like to have some mechanism avaiable…by which I can mask the possible repetition…of details that may show up here.…The other bonus of doing this right here…in substance designer is that we can actually then…expose the mask parameters we create to the artist,…meaning that he or she can adjust the frequency…of the cracks that appear at any given time, on a per shot,…per seed, or even indeed on a per level basis.…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."
3ds Max: Rendering for Compositeswith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.