Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up lighting, part of Learning Substance Designer.
- When creating a substance,…we may at times want or need to test it…under differing lighting conditions,…just to see how the surface reacts…or alters in look and feel,…based on the lighting rig affecting it.…Now, by default in our 3D View,…we have already seen how a click and drag operation…can be used to adjust or move, orbit, and dolly out camera.…Should we want to switch our 3D View's mouse operations…over to working on lighting adjustments instead, however,…all we need to do is come over to the icons…on the left of the view…and click the Light icon we see there.…
We could also simply hit the L key…in order to switch over more quickly.…Now when we click and drag in the viewport, we can see that,…rather than adjusting the position of the camera,…we are, in fact, altering the orientation…of lighting in the scene,…meaning we can now scrutinize various aspects…of our material, such as highlights and roughness,…very quickly indeed.…Not that we are in any way limited to changing…just the positional information of our light rig.…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."
3ds Max: Rendering for Compositeswith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.