Although you don’t want to have ambient occlusion embedded (or baked) into your base color maps, adding it back into the overall material via its own map channel means that you can adjust and control not just how much, but even if AO is added to your mate
- [Instructor] In this video we are going to work…with our ambient occlusion balance settings.…So as to get a good looking result…that isn't too overpowering and so unrealistic.…Obviously, our final ambient occlusion map will need…to be adjusted according to the environment…in which our material will be sitting.…If that area is well lit,…then typically less ambient occlusion should be present.…Whereas, if we will be in shadow or indirect light,…then the ambient occlusion would typically be stronger.…
Again, it's just a matter of thinking ahead…and making adjustments as needed.…Let's make a start then by setting all…of the balance sliders to a value of minus 1.…So essentially giving ourselves…no ambient occlusion at all to begin with.…These controls, as you would probably expect,…work in an identical manner to the frequency controls…that we looked at earlier on.…As I start to increase the low frequency value,…you can see that areas of bright occlusion…start to be added back in.…
Let's set that back to minus one.…
- Bitmap2Material UI
- Exploring the parameters area
- Bitmap2Material Lite
- Loading Bitmap2Material
- Adjusting output size
- Changing the colors in an input bitmap
- Using the low, mid, and high frequency controls
- Setting the Roughness Value
- Setting the AO balance
- Loading your maps into Unreal Engine
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Bitmap2Material UI
2. Bitmap2Material in Substance Designer
3. The Global Controls
4. Fixing the Base Color Map
5. Using the Relief Controls
6. Building a Roughness Map
Setting the Roughness Value2m 18s
7. Generating Ambient Occlusion
8. Saving and Testing Your B2M Texture
What's next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.