Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Making the metallic map, part of Learning Substance Designer.
- By this point in our Up and Running…with Substance Designer course I would imagine…that you are already feeling quite expert…adding new frames to the graph view.…Nevertheless let's zoom in a little here…and somewhere close to the metallic output node…press the space bar key and add…yes another new frame.…Let's change it's title to Metallic_Map.…And also set it's frame color to…a rust type red.…We can also increase it's size a little so as…to give ourselves some room with which to work.…
Without any nodes selected,…let's press the space bar key again,…and this time choose to add a uniform color node,…placing it inside the metallic map frame.…Now as the output for the metallic map…needs to be fed a grayscale value,…we need to come over to the properties panel…and change the node's color mode…from color over to grayscale.…Now the node by default returns a pure black value…which helpfully enough in this instance…is exactly what we want.…Meaning we can straight away pipe our uniform color…into the metallic output.…
What we should get now if I just right click and drag…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."
3ds Max: Rendering for Compositeswith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.