Keeping up to date with application changes can be quite a challenge, is why we will look at the major changes to Substance Designer since version 5.03, coming all the way up to the latest (at the time of this recording ) 5.3.4 update.
- [voiceover] When it comes to the media entertainment industries, one thing we can say for certain, is that change, is always happening. This can clearly be seen in technologies being developed for both the hardware and software sides of the business. Changes, that are of course what drive these industries forward. This ever changing landscape, though, does present quite a challenge when it comes to both producing and consumer training for any application with allegorithmic substance designer being no exception. Indeed, since the initial launch of this up and running with substance designer course, all the way back in August 2015, there have been a number of significant additions to the software, that I feel are important and useful enough to warrant adding an update chapter in here.
Especially so, seeing as some of these changes have happened in the areas of layout and behavior in the applications user interface. Anyone following along with the course in its current form using, for instance, the latest five point three point four update, would find themselves running into deadends when trying to follow through on some of the steps in the original course. This is because a number of tools are either not where they used to be or indeed work in a slightly different way. What we want to do in this update chapter then, is take a quick look over some of the more, significant changes that have occurred since substance designer 5.03 which was the version of the software used in recording the initial course.
To do this, we are going to look at changes that have been added from versions 5.1 through to the most recent at the time of this recording, 5.3.4 update. Just to make things clear, we are not, in this chapter, going to be covering every change our bug fix featured in those releases. No, we are going to do, is point out the major changes that, I think are both important and useful for substance designer artists to be aware of. Or, that directly impact the original course as published here on lynda.com.
Ok, with that primer out of the way then, let's dive right in and start to take a look at some of the features that have been added to the substance designer application.
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."