Even when you have well-captured input images—ones that have no directional light in them—you still have occlusion shadows in there that have been created by the surrounding ambient light source. You need to remove these in order to get a good, clean base
- Now whilst we have already recommended…capturing images for use in Bitmap2Material…that are as free as possible of noticeable…direct light effects,…this doesn't mean that there won't be potential…problems that need sorting should you…go ahead and do that.…You see, by its very nature, an overcast sky or indeed,…any ambient type light source will always add…lots of occlusion shadows to a scene.…Thankfully though, these are much easier…to fix in B2M than a directional shadow.…
So let's take a look at the controls available,…of which we have just two.…The first is a simple slider entitled AO Cancellation.…As we raise the value here,…the strength of the cancellation effect is increased…and we can instantly see just what this is doing.…We do need to be careful though,…because if we raise the value too high, like so,…then we can start to cancel out what are simply dark…areas of color on the objects as well,…which of course, is not what we want to do.…
The radius option gives us the ability to remove…both thin or tight occlusion shadows as well as…
- Bitmap2Material UI
- Exploring the parameters area
- Bitmap2Material Lite
- Loading Bitmap2Material
- Adjusting output size
- Changing the colors in an input bitmap
- Using the low, mid, and high frequency controls
- Setting the Roughness Value
- Setting the AO balance
- Loading your maps into Unreal Engine
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Bitmap2Material UI
2. Bitmap2Material in Substance Designer
3. The Global Controls
4. Fixing the Base Color Map
5. Using the Relief Controls
6. Building a Roughness Map
Setting the Roughness Value2m 18s
7. Generating Ambient Occlusion
8. Saving and Testing Your B2M Texture
What's next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.