In Substance Designer, we now have the ability to render our 3d view port with the same fidelity as the progressive path trace render engines that can be found in manny DCC applications . This helps us get a higher quality render, and so a better look at our substance creations.
- [Voiceover] Whilst the 3D viewing Substance Designer…has always been a fully-featured tool,…when it comes to seeing how our substances…are shaping up and giving us a good idea…of how they will look inside a game engine,…it is true to say that since the 5.3 update,…things have gotten much better,…as we can now have a comparable experience…to rendering our substances inside a DCC application,…such as 3ds Max and Maya.…How, you may ask.…Well, the reason, simply put, was the addition…of NVIDIA's Iray render engine.…
Now, if you use Substance Designer…in a games creation pipeline,…this might not seem particularly useful as an update.…However, it is worth keeping in mind,…given the uptake of a PBR,…or physically-based rendering approach to material creation,…that Iray offers us an extremely high fidelity,…physically-based view of our substance materials,…helping us really to spot details that might be missed…when just using the default OpenGL method.…But obviously, the big improvement in workflow…would come if we already use substances…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Rendering for Composites inside 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.