Controlling the environment inside of substance designer used to be a little time consuming. Now, instead of having to go into a separate properties panel to see how our reflections look on our fbx model, we can control the orientation of our environment with a simple set of keyboard short cuts, thus saving us much time over large projects.
- It may seem a little odd here to give…an entire video over to adjusting our environment.…Especially so when we consider the simplicity…of the functionality that we're going to be looking at.…In reality though, given the amount of times…that we may find ourselves adjusting our environment…over the course of any given Substance project,…and if we then multiply that by the number of…substances that we make use of,…maybe we can start to see why…any improvements there, might merit a video of their own.…
So, what is this addition?…Well, previously, if we wanted to perform a check on how…reflections from the environment were affecting…our substance, from multiple angles, that is,…then we would have to come to the environment control,…which was, of course, under a different menu name,…choose the edit command, and then inside the dome settings,…alter the rotate angle in order to see the reflections…change and update in the view pod.…Now, as noted, if we found ourselves having to do this…continuously throughout the substance creation process,…
- Creating a new substance graph
- Importing resources
- Setting up lighting
- Generating maps
- Creating material outputs
- Using generator nodes to create surface detail
- Using filters to create amps
- Publishing a substance
- Importing substances
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added 10 new tutorials covering the changes in the most recent versions of Substance Designer. Check out the videos in the new chapter, "5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights."
3ds Max: Rendering for Compositeswith Joel Bradley1h 50m Intermediate
Unreal Engine: Architectural Visualizationwith Adam Crespi3h 53m Intermediate
5.1 to 5.3.4 Update Highlights
1. Setting Up the Project
2. Generating Maps and Detail
3. Building Up the Material
What's next?2m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.