Learn how to create a free digital product for sale in Squarespace.
- So a very popular way of showing off the quality of products in a store like this, especially digital products or building an email list raising awareness of a company on social media and so forth is to give away an e-book. However, you might wanna ask people to subscribe to your newsletter along the way or make that a condition of the sale, or you just wanna build your mailing list by having people "purchase" the product even though it's free. So I'd like to walk you through how you could go ahead and set up an absolutely free digital download that will still collect a billing address from people and a email address.
So, here again, on the shop page, if you just roll your mouse over the general area, anywhere here on the product page itself, we can simply say "add product" and what product are we adding? It's a digital product and then, in your exercise files folder, you'll find the content for this, this is a robot book that we're going to add here, so this is "Building Your First Robot" We have a description for this book, There's our description. We have a picture for it, so here's a nice picture of this girl playing with this robot, isn't that great Let me go ahead and add that There we go and in our categories, we'll go ahead and add this to our e-book category, okay, so so far, pretty much everything we've done before now, when we go to our pricing here, we're going to set up the price as $18 but the sale price is gonna be $0.
And we'll go ahead and say that that's on sale. And then we can go ahead and add a file that here, again in your exercise files folder, you'll see we have a "Building Your First Robot" e-book that we'll go ahead and upload. And then if we say "Save and Publish" that will go ahead and publish the book Now, this is a bug that I've seen in a couple times in Squarespace, it looks like nothing happened, you don't see the extra book here on the shop page, but if you go to another page on the website, let's say we go to the home page and then go back to the shop page again, you'll see that it's actually here in our inventory and if we look at the shop page itself, here it is.
And in this particular theme, this gives us a little marker that says this is on sale, that might be something we want to edit in our design editor to make that sale maybe a little more prominent, but right now I just want to walk you through what happens when you buy this So if we go on ahead and say yes I'd like "Building Your First Robot", I'll add it to the cart you'll notice our cart increments here, we've got one item in our cart, go ahead and click that, and we can check out. So you can go ahead and enter your email address, then, it'll ask you for payment, I'm gonna talk a lot about payment in Chapter 5.
For right now, ignore what is up there, don't type in your own credit card or anything like that. This particular store is currently running in something called "Test Mode", that credit card is a test card number, just go ahead and leave it and don't worry about the details. Go ahead and enter some information for your billing address, we'll go ahead and say continue So, then it will ask me to purchase, and we'll go ahead and click that, and you'll notice I'll get an order confirmation screen here, and it will tell me that I have been sent a confirmation email and then down here at the bottom, this will give you the option of downloading your product here, if we go ahead and click that link, that will go ahead and download the file for us.
We'll also receive an email and that email will contain a link in it for me to download that e-book as well. This is the same type of flow that you would have if you were actually paying money for a product, you're going to have an exact kind of flow like this, you'll pay for your product, it'll get charged to the credit card, you'll receive a link here on the screen and in your email to download the product, and you'll need to download that product within 24 hours or that link will expire.
- Planning your Squarespace online store
- Creating product listings for physical goods
- Configuring shipping and creating discounts
- Create product listings and stores for digital goods
- Create product listings and stores for service-based products
- Adding a workshop as a service product
- Configuring payments and emails for physical, digital, and service products