Join Rich Lackowski for an in-depth discussion in this video "You Shook Me" by Led Zeppelin, part of Drum Set Instruction: On The Beaten Path.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- The next blues beat we're going to learn…is actually played by the great John Bonham.…He plays a heavy kind of sound in blues beat,…because he is a heavy rock drummer.…But a lot of these rock guys also played blues.…And some of the early rock tunes…are actually based out of the blues.…So this is a song that's called You Shook Me…and this is the beat that John Bonham played on that song.…(steady drum playing)…So now let's break that beat down…and just play it in it's simplest form.…
So we're going to play all 12 beats on the hi-hat,…we're going to play beats one and seven on the kick,…and beats four and ten on the snare.…So it goes like this.…(steady drum playing)…Next, we're going to remove the middle beat…of every group of three on the hi-hat,…and I'll explain what I mean.…
Let's just play the beat and I'll show you how it sounds.…(steady drum playing)…Now we're going to build on the beat we just played…but we're gonna add some base drum hits…on beat three and beat nine, so it goes like this.…
(steady drum playing)…
By the time you complete this course, you'll understand all the essentials of being a good drummer: from reading and writing music to playing with healthy technique to keep you drumming for a lifetime—along with a well-rounded vocabulary of over 140 famous beats and fills that you can use to create your own music and start playing in bands.
- Setting up your drums
- Basic hand and foot technique
- Reading music
- Playing basic beat and fills in a variety of styles
- Playing in 3/4, 5/4, and 7/8 time and more
Skill Level Beginner
Introduction to level 11m 16s
1. Getting Started
2. Basic Rock Beats
3. Basic Rock Fills
4. About the Drums and Sticks
5. Basic Blues and Shuffle Beats
6. Basic Blues and Shuffle Fills
7. Basic Jazz Beats
8. Basic Jazz Fills
9. Basic Country Beats
The train beat1m 32s
10. Basic Funk Beats
11. Basic Reggae Beats
12. Basic Latin Beats
13. More Jazz Beats and Fills
14. More Time Signatures
15. Time/Meter/Tempo Manipulation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.