Bryan teaches the popular and well-known three-chord song "You Are My Sunshine." This version is in the key of G. Main areas of focus include getting both left and right hands working together, implementing the boom chuck, and playing chords to sound as full as possible.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- We're gonna play some music now.…We've covered lots of basic fundamentals about playing,…an approach to playing acoustic guitar…and playing bluegrass rhythm.…And so now, we're going to play some tunes.…And I found some three chord songs that I think…that are melodies that a lot of people will know.…And the first one is "You Are My Sunshine,"…and it'll be in the key of G.…And just follow along.…I'm gonna play it through twice.…What I've done is record a lead track, me playing guitar…playing the lead.…And so I'll play it through twice.…
You can play along to learn the changes,…and then you can download the file…and you can have it for your practice.…And so again, we're gonna work on making chords…as full as possible.…We're gonna use the boom chuck and chord change…and all that kind of stuff, have both hands working,…and in rhythm here.…So we're gonna play the tune.…Here we go.…One, two, three.…("You Are My Sunshine," by Anonymous)…That's "You Are My Sunshine".…
If you want to, you can write out the chord changes.…In the interest of encouraging some ear training right now,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Holding the guitar
- Tuning the guitar
- Picking hand and fretting hand techniques
- Combining picking and fretting
- Practicing picking pattern exercises
- Changing chords and rhythm
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right- and Left-Hand Fundamentals
3. Picking Pattern Exercises
4. Basic Rhythm and Chords
Rhythm and chords overview1m 26s
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.