Don't wait until you have a publishing deal to write songs every day, find new co-writers, pitch your songs and generally behave like you have one. Cliff Goldmacher, an industry insider, suggests in this weekly songwriting training video that it's backwards to wait until you have a publishing deal to do all the things a publishing deal means. If you can show a publisher a catalog of songs that are well-written and well recorded that will go a long way towards getting you the deal you seek.
- Don't wait for a publishing deal to act like you have one.…If you find yourself thinking that if only…you had a publishing deal, then you could write everyday,…get great demos and have your songs pitched,…then I would humbly suggest…that you've got it exactly backwards.…In order to get a publisher interested in what you're doing,…you need to behave like you've already…got a publishing deal to begin with.…If you can show a publisher…a body of work that's well written,…well recorded, and maybe even includes a cut or two,…they are much more likely to respond favorably…to you and to your work.…
Don't wait around for the affirmation of a publisher…to get up everyday and do the work.…In fact, if you get to the point where you…can do all of these things on your own,…you might look up and find that you don't…need a publisher after all.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.