Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Voicing, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- There are many ways to voice a chord.…Root position of a triad is the most basic way.…(piano chord)…The first and second inversions are two more ways;…first inversion E-G-C and second inversion G-C-E.…Playing the root, first inversion, and second inversion…of the C major triad on guitar is straightforward as well.…(guitar strums)…The voicing of the triad or chord refers…to the order of the notes, but it also refers…to where the notes are played.…
There are seven octaves on a piano,…and at least eight instances of each note.…What's to stop us from playing these three notes…spread out across the keyboard?…Nothing.…Here's a C major triad spread out across three octaves.…(piano chord)…We can spread the root, 3rd, and 5th of a triad across…the keyboard anywhere we want to…to achieve the sound we're looking for.…This is what a voicing is: it's the vertical or harmonic…spacing and ordering of the pitches in a chord.…
Voicing also pertains to the instrumentation…of pitches in a chord.…This means taking the notes of the triad…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.