Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Voice leading two notes and three notes between minor triads, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- We've looked at voice leading for major triads…by moving two notes,…so now let's look at voice leading for minor triads…by moving two notes.…We're going to start with A minor this time.…(piano music)…We know that there are three minor chords that belong…to the major scale, the two, three, and six chords.…If we only have an A minor chord to go on,…we can be in one of these three major scales,…G major, where the A minor is the two.…(piano music)…We build the A minor on the second degree.…
(piano music)…F major, where the A minor is the three.…(piano music)…We build the A minor on the third degree.…(piano music)…And C major, where the A minor is the six chord.…(piano music)…We build the A minor on the sixth degree.…
(piano music)…We can reach other triads from any of these three keys…just by voice leading a couple notes.…If we take an A minor and move both the third…and the fifth up a whole step, we arrive at D major,…which is the five chord of G major.…Here's an A minor.…We're going to take the third, which is C,…and move it up a whole step to D.…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.