Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Voice leading two notes and three notes between major triads, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- We've looked at voice leading…a single note between triads,…so let's explore voice leading to,…or even all three of the notes of the triad…to another chord.…To keep it simple I'll only use this technique…to transition between…the seven triads of the major scale.…As we start to use more complex harmonies…the ability to transition smoothly and efficiently…from chord-to-chord will become essential.…We'll find that we can create dramatic shifts…in the listener's sense of the tonic…by moving the notes between chords…in small intervals.…
The result of voice leading progressions…this way is twofold…creating something easy to play and hear…that also has a rich harmonic texture.…It's a win-win.…While the concept of voice leading…chord progression stays the same…from instrument to instrument…our approach to them is colored…by the physicality of an instrument.…As we examine harmonies…with more than three notes…not only will the voice and possibilities increase…so will the ways we can…voice lead between chords.…All of the transitions between chords…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.