Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Voice leading one note between triads, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Now that I've discussed why voice leading is important,…let's put it into action.…I think the best way to start is by taking…the seven major scale triads…and seeing what other chords we can create…by voice leading a single note.…There are countless songs that use this technique.…How many times have you heard this type decending…motion on a piano.…(descending piano chords)…I can hear both Billy Joel's, Piano Man,…and Procol Harum's, A Whiter Shade of Pale…in that progression.…
Or perhaps something with more of an up and down feel.…(upbeat piano tune)…There are thousands songs that use that progression.…Nat King Cole's rendition of L-O-V-E…is one that comes to mind.…Voice leading is not only a way of transitionging…between chords smoothly and efficiently,…ti's a song writing technique as well.…To demonstrate this concept further,…I'll show you a few chord transitions you can…make by moving a single note.…
Let's start off with a major triad.…(piano chord)…Here you see D major tiad on it's own without context.…We could assume we are in the key of D.…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.