Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Voice leading chord progressions in a song, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- So now I'm going to tie in some of…the concepts I showed you.…The idea of voice leading two notes from…one chord to the next, the concept of sus chords,…and also the notion of disco bass and walking bass,…with an excerpt from one of my own songs called, "No Wrong".…First, I'm going to play the song,…then I'm going to break it down for you.…("No Wrong" by Julian Velard)…♫ I'm in trouble and I don't know why.…♫ A lifelong sentence for another crime I never committed.…
♫ I never admitted I'm an innocent guy.…♫ Yes I am.…♫ You got me sitting in your court in the sky.…♫ The judge and jury, my lover with the list of exhibits,…♫ a couple of digits on the back of a matchbook with…♫ no matches in it.…♫ I did no wrong,…♫ no wrong,…♫ no animals hurt in the making,…♫ but you keep singing along,…♫ it's the same old song,…♫ and it's only my heart you keep on breaking.…
♫ No wrong,…♫ no wrong,…♫ no reason for me to be thinking,…♫ but you keep singing along, it's the same old song,…♫ and it's only my heart you keep on breaking.…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.