Repetition of melodic phrases is a great way to make your song memorable and catchy according to songwriting professional, Cliff Goldmacher in his weekly online songwriting course. Also, if you're hoping to have your songs cut, repetition of the melody will make your song easier to learn which is what many artists are looking for when they look for outside material.
- Repetition in a melody is a powerful way…of helping people learn and remember your song.…One of the ways to make your song catchy…is to make it easy to remember.…Repetition of parts of your melody go a long way…towards making a song memorable.…If you're writing songs to get them cut,…in other words, recorded by other artists,…this also makes a song easier for them to learn.…In our song example, Centuries, the chorus,…which starts the song, has multiple repeating phrases.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.