If you're stuck looking for new approaches to your songwriting, experienced songwriter Cliff Goldmacher recommends learning a new instrument. In this weekly online songwriting course, Cliff says that learning an instrument can help with your songwriting motivation and inspire you to take a new approach to your writing. Staying musically curious is a good policy when it comes to your songwriting.
- Stuck?…Try learning a new instrument.…Sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to write…or you simply can't find the inspiration.…The act of learning a new or first instrument can go…a long way towards shaking loose some new inspiration.…Staying musicly curious is always a good policy.…The reason I know how to play the ukulele now…is because I was completely out of ideas,…saw a ukulele in a music store, picked it up,…got together with my cowriter,…and literally just put my fingers down wherever I could,…and we ended up with a song that I'm still proud of today.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.