Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Triads with an added note, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: Harmony.
- Now that we've looked at chord extensions,…the next concept for us to tackle…is the Added Note Chord.…An Added Note Chord is when we take a chord extension…like a 9th or a 13th and use it without the presence…of the extensions leading up to it.…Namely the 7th.…For example, here's an A minor triad with an added 9th.…Just four notes.…Here's an A minor triad.…(slow piano notes)…And I'll add the 9th.…Which is a B but I'll play it down here.…(slow piano notes)…Typically we take the added note…and bring it down the octave.…
Voicing it alongside the basic notes of a triad.…We see added note chords all the time…in popular music.…They provide a way to incorporate the colors of extensions…without using the sound of the 7th chord.…As a result they don't have the jazzy feel…of extended chords.…We are able to add the 9th, 11th, 13th and the 6th…to triads to create added note chords.…I'll go through each one now to give you an idea…of their sounds.…Add9 Chords.…
9ths can be added to both major and minor triads.…They are one of the most commonly used added note chords…
In this installment, musician Julian Velard digs into more intermediate-level music theory topics. Starting with minor scales, he shows examples of classic songs in minor keys, and then explores the modes of the diatonic scale (e.g., the mixolydian mode). Next, Julian dives into chords with 4 or more notes, covering 7th chords, chord extensions (e.g., 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths), suspended chords, diminished chords, augmented chords, and inversions. Finally, he covers key centers, modulations, pedal points, alternate bass notes, and polychords. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the techniques shown within the context of his own original songs.
- Working in minor scales
- Using Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes to write songs
- Extending chords
- Using 7th chords in a song
- Transposing a song
- Building different harmonies from a single melody
Skill Level Beginner
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
Sibelius 8 Essential Training: 101with Jenny Amaya5h 38m Beginner
1. Minor Keys and Modes
2. Four-Note Chords and Beyond
3. Key Centers, Modulations, and Alternate Bass Notes
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.