Join Rich Lackowski for an in-depth discussion in this video "Super Bad (Part 1)" by James Brown, part of Drum Set Instruction: On The Beaten Path.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Now, we wouldn't be complete learning funk drums…if we didn't play something by James Brown,…so John "Jabo" Starks plays this beat…in the song called Super Bad.…Super funky.…Here it goes.…One, two, one, two, three, four.…(drums)…So now, let's break that beat down…and just play something a little bit simpler…and we'll build it up one step at a time.…
So, start by playing eighth notes on the hi-hat…and play the snare drum on beat one,…the "and" of beat two, and on beat four.…Like this.…One, two, one, two, three, four.…(drums)…Now, we're gonna take that same hand pattern,…and we're gonna start adding in some of the bass drum notes.…
Like this.…One, two, one, two, three, four.…(drums)…Now, we're gonna play the same beat,…but we're gonna add in the ghost note…on the E of beat three.…Like this.…One, two, one, two, three, four.…(drums)…Next, let's add in the first open hi-hat.…
Now, this is gonna come right before beat two,…so on the "and" of beat one.…And this is a famous thing that Jabo likes to do…when he plays funk, and it goes like this.…
By the time you complete this course, you'll understand all the essentials of being a good drummer: from reading and writing music to playing with healthy technique to keep you drumming for a lifetime—along with a well-rounded vocabulary of over 140 famous beats and fills that you can use to create your own music and start playing in bands.
- Setting up your drums
- Basic hand and foot technique
- Reading music
- Playing basic beat and fills in a variety of styles
- Playing in 3/4, 5/4, and 7/8 time and more
Skill Level Beginner
Introduction to level 11m 16s
1. Getting Started
2. Basic Rock Beats
3. Basic Rock Fills
4. About the Drums and Sticks
5. Basic Blues and Shuffle Beats
6. Basic Blues and Shuffle Fills
7. Basic Jazz Beats
8. Basic Jazz Fills
9. Basic Country Beats
The train beat1m 32s
10. Basic Funk Beats
11. Basic Reggae Beats
12. Basic Latin Beats
13. More Jazz Beats and Fills
14. More Time Signatures
15. Time/Meter/Tempo Manipulation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.