Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Simple verse form, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- The simple verse form uses the same chord changes…throughout the song, while the melody and lyrics…may differ from section to section.…We see this simple verse form utilized in blues…and early rock and roll, even rap and modern pop music.…Everything from Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode"…to Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day,"…to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky."…One common example of a simple verse form…is the 12 bar blues, which is what we refer to as…the blues.…Typically, in the blues, the melody is repeated…in both the verse and chorus.…
The most basic form of the 12 bar blues is as follows.…I'm going to play you a simple blues in C major.…Bars one through four, we play the one chord.…(piano chord)…Bars five and six, we play the four chord.…(piano chord)…Bars seven and eight, the one chord again.…(piano chord)…Bar nine is the five chord.…(piano chord)…Bar 10 is the four chord.…(piano chord)…Bar 11 is the one chord.…(piano chord)…And bar 12 is the five chord.…
(piano chord)…Here's a simple blues in C major in time.…(upbeat piano music)…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.