A regular routine can be a good thing even for a creative art form like songwriting. In his weekly online songwriting course, Cliff Goldmacher talks about the way that routine helps develop good songwriting habits. It only takes a few weeks of writing consistently at the same time every day for it to become a habit that is easily adhered to with many, many benefits.
- Set aside a regular time of day to write.…Routine can be a good thing, even for something…as artistic and creative as songwriting.…If you know that every day at seven p.m.…you're going to write for half an hour,…then you're more likely to do it.…They say it takes a few weeks of consciously…making yourself do something before it becomes a habit.…A daily time to write will go a long way…towards the healthy habit of songwriting.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.