- View Offline
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a weekly writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Stuck? Try learning a new instrument. Sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to write or you simply can't find the inspiration. The act of learning a new or first instrument can go a long way towards shaking loose some new inspiration. Staying musicly curious is always a good policy. The reason I know how to play the ukulele now is because I was completely out of ideas, saw a ukulele in a music store, picked it up, got together with my cowriter, and literally just put my fingers down wherever I could, and we ended up with a song that I'm still proud of today.