Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: Harmony.
- Thanks for watching this course.…I hope that it has inspired you to continue…developing your songwriting skills,…and exploring the ways Music Theory…can help you write the songs you want to write.…Look for the other courses in the…Music Theory for Songwriters series,…and check out all the other courses…about Songwriting on Lynda.com.…Courses like "Write, Think, and Act…Like a Professional Songwriter",…"The Dos and Don'ts of Songwriting Collaboration",…and the Songwriting in a DAW series,…including "Songwriting in Pro Tools", "Logic",…"Ableton", "GarageBand", and "Reason".…
If you're interested in promoting your songs,…finding better ways to sell your songs and merchandise,…understanding music contracts,…or getting started in the Songwriting business,…check out all the courses on the Music business,…including "Getting Started in the Business of Songwriting",…"Selling Music Merchandise",…"Selling Music: MP3s, Streams, and CDs",…"Music Law: Copyrighting a Song",…and "Music Law: Recording, Management,…Rights, and Performance Contracts".…
In this installment, musician Julian Velard digs into more intermediate-level music theory topics. Starting with minor scales, he shows examples of classic songs in minor keys, and then explores the modes of the diatonic scale (e.g., the mixolydian mode). Next, Julian dives into chords with 4 or more notes, covering 7th chords, chord extensions (e.g., 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths), suspended chords, diminished chords, augmented chords, and inversions. Finally, he covers key centers, modulations, pedal points, alternate bass notes, and polychords. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the techniques shown within the context of his own original songs.
- Working in minor scales
- Using Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes to write songs
- Extending chords
- Using 7th chords in a song
- Transposing a song
- Building different harmonies from a single melody
Skill Level Beginner
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Minor Keys and Modes
2. Four-Note Chords and Beyond
3. Key Centers, Modulations, and Alternate Bass Notes
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.