Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: The Fundamentals.
- Thank you for watching Music Theory for Songwriters.…I hope it will inspire you for years to come…and help you develop your songwriting skills.…Look for the other courses in our…Music Theory for Songwriters series…and check out all the other courses…about songwriting on lynda.com, courses like…Write, Think, and Act Like a Professional Songwriter,…The Dos and Don'ts of Songwriting Collaboration,…and our Songwriting in a DAW series,…including Songwriting in Pro Tools,…Logic, Ableton, GarageBand, and Reason.…If you're interested in promoting your songs,…finding better ways to sell your songs…and merchandise, understanding music contracts,…or getting started in the songwriting business,…check out all of the courses on the music business,…including Getting Started in the Business of Songwriting,…Selling Music Merchandise,…Selling Music: MP3s, Streams, and CDs,…Music Law: Copyrighting a Song,…and Music Law: Recording, Management, Rights,…and Performance Contracts.…
And finally, if you'd like to learn more…about me and listen to my music,…
Professional musician Julian Velard starts the course with the building blocks of harmony: notes, scales, intervals, chords, inversions, and basic chord progressions. He then goes into voice leading—showing how to move from one chord to another by changing just one or two notes—and reviews common song forms, from the familiar verse/chorus/verse of pop to the simple verse of the blues. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the songwriting techniques shown in the chapter within the context of his own original commercially released songs.
- Understanding scales, intervals, and keys
- Triads or three-note chords
- Triad inversions
- Common major-scale chord progressions and cadences
- Voice leading
- Song form elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, hook, and more
- Using common song forms in songwriting
Skill Level Beginner
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
1. The Building Blocks of Harmony
2. Triads and Chord Progressions
3. Chord Progressions and Voice Leading
4. Song Forms
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.