By making sure the range of your song's melody isn't too broad, you'll have a much better chance of finding an artist to record your song. In this weekly songwriting training video, Cliff Goldmacher, suggests making sure your melody's range is a manageable one for most vocalists. This is a mistake songwriters make especially if they aren't experienced vocalists. It's important to remember that most artists aren't experienced studio singers like your demo singers are. So if your demo singer is having trouble with the range of your melody, it's a good indication you've got a problem.
- Make sure your melody isn't so rangy…that only a few singers can hit the notes.…It's always important to keep a potential artist…in mind when you write your songs,…even if that artist is you.…An overly rangy melody is a mistake songwriters make,…especially if they're not experienced vocalists.…Your melody should be manageable for most singers.…An indication that your melody might have too much range…is if your demo singer, who by the way…is always an experienced studio vocalist with a great range,…if they're having trouble singing it,…you've got a problem.…
This is something to keep in mind…if you're hoping for a cut, and by a cut,…I mean an artist recording one of your songs.…Most artists aren't necessarily…great studio singers with huge ranges.…In the song "Ex's and Oh's", the singer sings…in a manageable range, exactly one octave from B to B.…This doesn't mean that the melody isn't memorable.…It just means that it isn't impossible tough to sing.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a weekly writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.