Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video Keep a recorder running while writing, part of One-Minute Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- View Offline
- Keep a recorder running during your writing session.…This is a trick I learned years ago, so many years ago…that it used to be a cassette recorder for me.…Keep some kind of recorder running…during the entirety of the session.…This way, you'll have a record of the writing of the song,…which can be fun to look back on years later.…And, even for legal reasons,…although that's pretty unlikely.…A lot of the creative process is about spontaneously…suggesting lyric ideas,…or singing melodic ones over the period of the session.…
Just as fast as they're suggested, they're gone.…By keeping the recorder running, if you need to refer…back to something, you've got it.…This can be a lifesaver.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a weekly writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length