The key to any craft is repetition says veteran songwriter Cliff Goldmacher. In his weekly online songwriting course, Cliff says that songwriting is a muscle and the more that you work that muscle the stronger it becomes. The more songs you write the better able you'll be to write consistently strong songs. You don't have to write for long stretches of time as long as you're writing songs consistently.
- Songwriting is a muscle.…Work it often and it gets stronger.…The key to any kind of craft is repetition.…Songwriting is certainly about inspiration,…but you have to teach yourself…to reliably and consistently access…and take advantage of that inspiration.…The more songs you write, the better able you'll be…to write consistently strong songs.…You don't have to write a lot…as much as you have to write consistently.…Even as little as five minutes a day'll do it.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.