Sometimes it's easier to write a song if you've got some structure around it. By giving yourself a writing assignment, industry veteran Cliff Goldmacher, suggests you'll find it much easier to get to work on your song. in this weekly online songwriting video, Cliff discusses the ways in which an assignment can take away the overwhelming feeling of starting from scratch and motivate you to write more.
- Give yourself a writing assignment.…It's easier to write if you have some guidelines.…Tell yourself you're going to write a song with…one chord you've never used…or a song about a topic you've never covered.…You'll find it's easier to get to work.…Anything you can do to give shape and structure…to what you're attempting to write…will make the task that much simpler.…I actually had a collaborator come in once and say,…"I've been touring with this jam band…"and all of our songs are just one chord.…
"Let's write a song with just one chord."…And after sort of resetting myself and kind of getting…in that head space, I realized it was a great challenge…and we did it.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.