Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video Don't chase trends, part of One-Minute Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- By the time you're aware of a trend,…it's too late.…Write what moves you.…Trying to write a hit song is such an elusive thing,…there's this temptation to try and write…what you think is hot or trendy.…The problem with that is that anything…that you're hearing now that's trendy…was most likely part of a trend that's come and gone.…Since it's pretty much impossible…to write for a trend when it's already recognized,…why not just write what moves you?…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a weekly writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
New This Week
Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.